http://www.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=27684744 ARTYFACTS: Tyrannosaur – a dinosaur

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tyrannosaur – a dinosaur


Listen, I’m Scottish, but I’m not a violent drunk or dosser. So I’m not often amused to see yet another unshaven, drink-soaked Scot on a cinema screen. Granted Scotland does enough to promote this image of itself, but I’ve had my fill of this stuff.
So I’m not sure that this movie deserves the plaudits it’s received. A grim tale of relentless violence it simply plods, like its main character, through episode after episode of drink, desperation and death. There aren’t any shades of grey, only dull, depressing darkness. Neither does it follow through as tragedy, as the ending is an optimistic afterthought. Granted the performances were good but where was the writing. The characters are class clichés; the drunk Scot, the loquacious Irishman, the thug with dog, the English housewife. Just no surprises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home